Toxins are the main reason why most dog owners visit emergency clinics or call their veterinarians. It can be very expensive to treat a poisoned dog and it is important to keep the out of your pet’s reach. Below are some of the most deadly poisons:
Antifreeze is one of the most common toxic product eaten by cats and dogs. It can be very deadly and only 1 teaspoon can kill your small dog! Dogs like eating Antifreeze because it is sweet. Therefore, you have to ensure that your dog does not access any antifreeze.
2. Mouse and rat baits
Mouse and rat baits have several toxic ingredients. The most common ingredient in these products leads to bleeding disorders. This is why it is important to keep any baits out of your pet’s reach.
3. Slug bait
During summer, the number of slugs increases and most people like using slug bait to kill them. Slug bait usually has an active ingredient known as metaldehyde- an ingredient that can lead to uncontrollable seizures in pets.
4. Dog medications
Overdosing or accidental access to pet medications is a common cause of poisoning in dogs. It is usually a good idea to call your veterinarian when your pet accidentally ingests anything it should not.
Always remember that early identification and treatment can save your pet’s life. If the medication is dangerous enough, then your vet will most likely recommend that you induce vomiting to get the poison out of the pet’s system.
5. Human medications
Dogs can access human medications or they may be given these medications by a dog owner with good intentions but unfortunately misinformed. Keep in mind that human medication can be given an overdose of human medications. This can be very toxic to pets. Avoid giving your dog any medications without consulting your veterinarian.
Insecticides you use on your dogs especially those meant for ticks or fleas should be approved by your veterinarian. This is due to the fact that some pets are sensitive to some medications.
I can assure you that the tips above will keep your pet safe. Apart from keeping your pet safe from toxins, ensure that your dog has the best medical care possible. This is why it is a good idea to have a pet insurance which will help you have the means to deal with an unexpected medical condition.
Do you have pet insurance? If the answer is a big yes, then I congratulate you for taking this important step that will keep your pet safe and healthy. I hope that this information has been helpful to you. As you can see, it is very important to keep all toxins and medications out of reach of children and dogs. While being very important, this is only a subset of common mistakes dog owners make with their pets.